Board Governance Fundamentals
November 1, 2023
9:00 am-12:00 pm
In-Person WorkshopRegister Here
Effective board leadership is crucial to an organization’s success. This workshop for board members, executive directors, and senior staff who work directly with board members will discuss exceptional governance practices and strategies for improved board member engagement. Participants will leave inspired with new ideas to unleash their board’s potential!
The workshop will specifically address the following topics:
- the “dual purpose” of nonprofit governance;
- the board’s moral (ethical) and legal obligations (fiduciary duties of care, loyalty, and obedience);
- diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the context of board service and governance;
- using the Governance and Management Support framework to understand the distinction between governance and management support roles and responsibilities; and
- how to engage board members based on organizational needs and individual board members’ interests, skills, and capacity.
The workshop will be in person on Wednesday, November 1st, from 9:00am to 12:00pm at the Greater New Orleans Foundation, 919 St. Charles Ave. It is free, but registration is required. Click here to register.
Meet the facilitator:
Marla Cornelius, MNA
Nonprofit Leadership, Management, and Board Governance Consultant
Marla Cornelius has partnered with the Greater New Orleans Foundation for several years as the lead trainer for our popular Board Governance Series and several of our governance and leadership programs. Her deep understanding of nonprofits and governance, the challenges facing leaders, and the way that power manifests in organizations enables her to create environments where clients can explore new realities, learn new approaches, and achieve their goals.