Board Governance 101: Promising Practices for Successful Boards
March 2, 2021
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Effective Board leadership is crucial to an organization’s success. This two-hour webinar will engage executive directors and board members in a dialogue and learning about exceptional governance practices. Participants will leave inspired with new ideas and tools to unleash their board’s potential. The following topics will be covered:
- The purpose of nonprofit governance and the board’s legal obligations of duty, loyalty and obedience.
- Discussion of the specific roles and responsibilities of board members.
- How to tailor board engagement based on organizational needs and individual board members’ interests, skills, and capacity.
- How to design engaging and strategic board meetings that inspire leaders and focus the board on the right conversations at the right time.
- How to operationalize diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in governance.
- How to engage your board as you navigate COVID-19
The workshop will be held on virtually on Tuesday, March 2nd from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm via Zoom. The workshop is free, but registration is required. Click here to register.
About our Trainer
Marla Cornelius, MNA
Consultant: Nonprofit Leadership, Management, and Board Governance
Marla Cornelius works with organizations and leaders committed to social justice. She is skilled at designing programs and consulting engagements blending highly relevant theory with practical application. Her deep understanding of nonprofits, the challenges facing leaders, and the way that power plays out in organizations enables her to create environments where clients can explore new realities, learn new approaches, and achieve their goals.
While at CompassPoint (2000 to 2017), a leading nonprofit capacity building organization, she led the design and delivery of numerous leadership development cohort programs such as Next Generation Leaders of Color, Organizational Sustainability, and Strategic Leader Development. She co-authored the research reports UnderDeveloped: A National Study of Challenges Facing Nonprofit Fundraising (2013), Daring to Lead: A National Study of Nonprofit Executive Leadership (2011), and Ready to Lead? Next Generation Leaders Speak Out (2008). Marla has a Masters in Nonprofit Administration (MNA) from the University of San Francisco.