Vice President for Philanthropy
The Greater New Orleans Foundation is searching for a dynamic, experienced, and skilled development professional to serve as its Vice President for Philanthropy. Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice President for Philanthropy, will lead the Foundation’s fundraising efforts and donor development and engagement work, broaden and deepen relationships with new and existing philanthropic partners, and contribute significantly to the Foundation’s ability to influence forward progress in the 13-parish Greater New Orleans region. The Vice President for Philanthropy will be a seasoned fundraising professional, with the ability to both inspire donor investment in the Foundation’s strategic priorities and help individuals utilize the Foundation’s philanthropic vehicles. In addition, the Vice President for Philanthropy will serve as a resource for charitable planned giving, including reinforcing and increasing the Foundation’s exposure and positive reputation as a trusted partner to professional advisors.
- Execute the comprehensive asset development efforts of the Foundation, to include the creation of new funds, the delivery of donor services, the recognition of donor gifts, and the stewardship of new and existing donors
- In conjunction with the Foundation’s senior leadership, establish well-defined asset development metrics and benchmarks; ensure that the Foundation is on track to meet targets on an annual basis—for new gifts, new funds, planned gifts, institutional support, special initiatives, the Foundation’s endowment, and the Foundation’s annual campaign.
- Maintain a robust portfolio of five, six, and seven-figure donor prospects
- Harness and leverage the time, talent, and resources of the Foundation’s Board of Trustees and, specifically, of the Board’s Asset Development Committee, to generate greater philanthropic support and foster connections with new and existing donors
- Serve as the Foundation’s in-house expert in planned giving and for the donation of complex assets, providing information and technical assistance to professional advisors and Foundation staff regarding complex gifts and current and planned gift vehicles
- Cultivate relationships with key professional advisor groups, including attorneys, accountants, bankers, life insurance advisors, and financial/investment/wealth advisors
- Provide thought leadership as a member of Foundation’s senior management team; work in close partnership with the Foundation’s CEO, Chief of Staff, finance department, communications department, and programs department to achieve development goals
- Manage, mentor, and lead the Foundation’s team of five (5) diverse development and donor relations professionals
- Maintain an effective external profile, representing the Foundation as a panelist, speaker, and/or content expert where appropriate
- Other duties, as assigned
- Ten or more years of leadership experience in developing, implementing, and adapting strategies to attract and engage charitable donors; experience with diverse giving tools such as donor advised funds and planned gifts strongly preferred
- Demonstrated success in securing five, six, and seven-figure gifts
- Comprehensive campaign experience preferred
- Expertise in managing trustees and other high-level volunteers
- Knowledge of planned giving instruments; experience building relationships with professional advisors a plus
- Ability to design and implement donor cultivation plans, solicitation strategies, and stewardship plans that reflect best industry practices
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM system
- Flexible and adaptable leadership style that inspires colleagues and earns the respect of a diverse development team
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the Foundation
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- The ability to take initiative, manage multiple tasks and projects, and bring all to a successful conclusion
- High energy, enthusiasm (or positive attitude), and passion for the Foundation’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree a plus
Salary for this position will be commensurate with skills and experience.
About the Greater New Orleans Foundation
The Greater New Orleans Foundation (GNOF) is the philanthropic institution dedicated to driving positive impact through philanthropy, leadership, and action in the 13-parish Greater New Orleans region. For nearly a century, GNOF has connected donors and fundholders with causes about which they are passionate. GNOF makes grants and supports impactful work throughout the Greater New Orleans area, while also providing civic leadership to help address the biggest challenges facing the region, with a goal of improving the everyday lives of the people that live here. Today, GNOF manages more than 900 funds created to support a variety of causes that have both short-term and long-term impact.
Interested applicants should email the following materials to GNOFVPSearch@gmail.com:
- Cover letter
- Three (3) professional references
No calls, please.
The Greater New Orleans Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. There is no discrimination with regard to hiring, assignments, promotions, or other conditions of staff employment because of race, creed, color, religion, veteran status, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual preference, or a disability not pertinent to the assigned job.