The GPOA Foundation is a grant-making, independent foundation which supports programs that serve children in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes, Louisiana.
To level the playing field for the most vulnerable children and youth.
Leverage existing resources available to organizations serving youth by awarding grants, up to $30,000, annually. In special circumstances, the GPOA Foundation Board of Trustees can recommend larger grants.
Nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations that serve children or youth in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes are eligible to apply for funding. Organizations that are not tax-exempt but have a fiscal sponsor relationship with a 501(c)(3) organization are also eligible.
Priority will be given to organizations that are:
- Helping children age 0-8 meet attainable developmental milestones through:
- Kindergarten readiness through access to early childhood education
- literacy building programs that assure on-level reading by third grade
- enrichment programs (music, art, dance, STEM)
- behavioral health and social-emotional supports
- training for parents and educators helping children from age 0-8
- summer learning loss prevention programs for K-3rd grade students
- special education and Autism Spectrum programs
- Providing vocational and educational opportunities for youth to age 24 who are at particularly high-risk, such as homeless youth, youth with special needs, and youth who are in foster care, group homes or juvenile justice facilities:
- Educational remediation or growth opportunities
- Vocational and work-readiness training and apprenticeships
- Life-skills training and leadership opportunities
$10,000-$30,000 for individual agency requests. Requests are generally granted for staff, curriculum, etc. for specific programs, rather than general operating funds.
- Only nonprofit organizations which serve children in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes are eligible for grants from the GPOA Foundation.
- Organizations with large, unrestricted endowments are not eligible
- Multi-year requests for three years of declining support will be considered for organizations which have clear impact objectives and an evaluation plan. However, grants will be approved a single year at a time.
- Collaborative grant requests, involving up to three organizations working on a common outcome, are encouraged.
The GPOA Foundation DOES NOT consider funding
- Programs which are not focused on children in Orleans & Jefferson Parishes
- Building or renovation expenses and equipment are rarely funded
- Sponsorship of special events
- Individual Scholarships
- Programs that take place out of state
How to Apply
The GPOA Foundation accepts only electronic application submissions through the Foundation’s online portal. The Greater New Orleans Foundation’s technology partner, Foundant, has created a brief tutorial for applicants that may be viewed here. It is highly recommended that all applicants review this video before beginning a new application in order to better understand the electronic submission process. Proposals that are not submitted electronically may not be considered.
When to Apply
Summer: April 1, 2019 – May 1, 2019
Fall: July 1, 2019 – August 2019